Day 15: Journey to Big Bear Lake


6. Mai
 0 miles
 I woke up early and prepared myself for a long bus journey to Big Bear Lake where I would meet Paul again. For some reason he was waiting for me.
 I left my cozy cabin with a crying eye and hobbled to the road leading to Banning. I needed to hitch there. It felt like forever. Three cars already stopped all going only up the hill. I took the fourth one. The man had a Golden Retriever in his car that made the difference. He took me to a gas station on the mountain where I crashed into a couple kissing each other. “Excuse me – do you go to Banning?”
 And they did! That’s how I got my ride. Thanks to Mark and his girlfriend (I am so bad with names)!
 In Banning I hopped on bus route no. 2 to get to Beaumont Walmart. I had only 20 Dollars to pay for the ticket. The busdriver was a black lady and she just waved me in. A sign in the bus said her name was Sonya. So I introduced myself…
 Great first busride in the US!
 At Walmart I had a lot of time and needed to get some change for the next bus. Busdrivers don’t change, that’s what I learned today.
 After a veggie sub and an apple and huge amount of time to think again about what I’ve gotten into I hopped on the commuter Link 120 to San Bernardino metrolink station. After 55 min I met Paul again. Together we took the next bus to Big Bear Interlaken center. It was a one and a half hour ride and the road wasn’t straight anywere. I almost got seasick! Arriving in Big Bear we hopped on our final bus to Knickerbocker Rd where we stay at the Hostel until Monday.
 That’s where we learned that we are doing the “canada-thing”. The locals were fascinated.
 So one hitch and four busses and all the walking inbetween… What a day!
 But I have Paul around at least the next two days. He is a real friend and he gives me hope. We discussed the options I have again and again and it’s good to know there’s someone who cares.
 He gave me my trailname today. In case I will be back on trail I will take it.
 Heute morgen bin ich früh aufgewacht und habe mich auf die lange Busreise nach Big Bear vorbereitet, wo ich Paul wiedertreffen würde. Aus irgendeinem Grund hat er auf mich gewartet.
 Ich verließ meine gemütliche Cabin mit einem weinenden Auge und hoppelte zur Straße die nach Banning führt.
 Ich musste trampen. Es fühlte sich an als würde es ewig dauern. Drei Autos hatten bereits gestoppt, keines fuhr nach Banning sondern nur auf den Berg rauf. Ich entschied mich für den vierten Fahrer. Er hatte einen Golden Retriever im Wagen, das machte den Unterschied. Er nahm mich mit auf den Berg und setze mich an einer Tankstelle ab, wo ich ein Pärchen fragte ob sie nach Banning fuhren. Ich unterbrach die beiden ganz charmant beim Küssen. Und sie fuhren nach Banning und nahmen mich mit.
 In Banning musste ich dann mit dem Bus nach Beaumont zum Walmart fahren. Die Busfahrerin war eine coole Schwarze Lady namens Sonya und so fuhr ich kostenlos.
 Vom Walmart aus fuhr ich nach längerer Wartezeit mit dem commuter Link 120 nach San Bernardino, wo Paul auf mich wartete. Zusammen fuhren wir dann weitere eineinhalb Stunden nach Big Bear. Die Strecke war nicht einmal gerade. Fast wurde ich seekrank!
 In Big Bear mussten wir dann noch einmal den Bus wechseln um zum Hostel zu kommen.
 Einmal Trampen, vier Busfahrten und dazwischen laufen. Was für ein Tag!
 Aber immerhin ist Paul hier. Er ist ein echter Freund und gibt mir Hoffnung. Wir haben meine Möglichkeiten immer wieder diskutiert und es ist gut zu wissen, dass es jemanden gibt, der mich versteht.
 Paul hat mir heute auch meinen Trailnamen gegeben. Den werde ich annehmen sobald ich wieder auf dem Trail bin.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *